The beautiful Pauley Bridge is a pedestrian bridge that provides a serene view of the Big Sandy River, and is a popular spot for visitors to get a photo or take a short stroll. Pauley Bridge was built by workers from the Works Progress Administration. The wooden bridge is now closed to vehicular traffic, but is still intact. It spans the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River. Construction on the bridge began in 1936 and was completed in 1940.
The stone towers on each end of the Pauley Bridge are constructed of sandstone. It is the only WPA bridge with sandstone in the construction. The WPA labeled these end portions with their own emblem. The very top of each end reads “W. P. A.” and “1936”. In 1992, the National Register of Historic Places listed the bridge in its register. It was not until 2000, however, that the bridge was closed to vehicular traffic. The bridge measurement is approximately 390 feet across and often people use it as a photography backdrop.
Pauley Bridge Gallery
Where to Find Pauley Bridge
Pikeville, KY 41501
Phone: (800) 844-7453
Tourism Director: Tony K. Tackett